This is a perfect recipe to make for a gift – give it to a beer lover, someone with a sweet tooth, or the foodie you know and they will love it. Drizzle this rich and creamy sauce on ice cream, sugar donuts or churros, or cookies. Or, take this salted caramel beer sauce to the next level and make caramel popcorn!
SALTED CARAMEL BEER SAUCE
Recipe courtesy of Brett Hunt.
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup Erdinger Dunkel
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes or separately spooned out
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- Add the sugar and beer to a heavy bottom saucepan over high heat.
- Stir just until the sugar has melted then stop stirring. Allow to boil untouched.
- You can swirl the pan a few times to evenly distribute caramel, but stirring will cause crystallization. Leave untouched until caramel reaches a deep amber, almost reddish color and hits 350F on a candy thermometer.
- As soon as the caramel hits 350F add the butter, stirring continuously until all the butter has melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly whisk in the cream until well combined.
- Stir in the salt.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before transferring to glass jars.
- Decorate the jars and pair them with a bottle of the Erdinger Dunkel.